Skip to main content

The ever illusive Subba Rao


There were a few old white haired ladies chatting with each other…no prices for guessing what they would be speaking about…To avoid too much of my exposure which meant I may become the topic of discussion…I walked as fast as I could towards my apartment. A glance to the post box on the left hand side to check if there was any letter for me…

    Subba Rao
    1/12, Eswari apartment,
    Appaswamy Street,
    West Mambalam,
    Chennai  33.
Was an address typed on a piece of paper and stuck on an envelope. I picked it up…took a few steps and read the name once again…it read “Subba Rao”…I turned back and placed it next to post box. The few old ladies who were watching me have a topic to speak about I thought and walked towards my Flat No 12.

But, predominantly my thoughts were on Subbaa Rao. The four lines from bottom-up indicated the flat that I lived in. But the name was no were close to mine…and I don’t share my Flat No. 12 with anyone else.
“Well, who is this Subba Rao?”

The Family that stayed before I came here, had no one by the name “Subba Rao”…I heard from one of my neighbors that there was neither a “Subba Rao” in the family that lived a decade ago. I also came to know from my neighbor that these letters for Subba Rao have been in the post box for quite a long time…in fact the neighbor gave a ball-part figure of 5 to 7 years.


“Who the hell is this Subba Rao?”

The illusive Subba Rao…the letter that I picked had some fancy envelop and ICICI inscribed on it. The very fact that this was banking and finance related letter definitely meant he was no kid or someone in the teens…and the 5 to 7 year buffer by my neighbor meant that he was definitely nothing less than 30 years old. And a couple of days later I also found a few letters, open post cards and a few notice from the local Temple indicating few Pooja. Now, those made me guess that this man was not a youth… and definitely meant late forties or even fifties…
 

“Who on Earth is this Subba Rao?”

Well this man definitely had a lot of plans for his future…most of his letter has an Insurance company’s name on it or a Bank’s. On few occasions, I had the urge to open one of those…what if there was a jackpot? With the amount of letters he gets…there is every possibility that the Indian Postal Service may award him with “Citizen who receives the most letters” or may be a cash award for that.

Every letter of his had a “Subba Rao” printed or written on it…not even a spelling mistake…something like Shuba Rao etc. Which definitely sounded a little younger, a name worth searching for…I meant…to give all the letters back.

Few more months passed by and as usual the post man always carried a lot of letters of the man who was virtual…and never carries a letter for “Gokul Murari”…the existing one. The post man would not carry a letter of mine even when I expected one…but, Subba Rao… invariably had a letter every day.

One of those days, I had to skip office because my body needed some rest…quiet a heavy lunch and slowly dozing away in my bed with my boxers not to mention the Chennai heat…I head the door bell. I was a little irritated…had to quickly pull on a shorts and a t-shirt to attend the door. By that time I heard the bell once again…which sounded like someone blew a horn right into my ears. I did not want the third one…I opened the door quickly…“Sir Courier” said a man with touch pad asking me to sign on it…I quickly felt the letter in my hand as if my fingers can see through it to find what was in the cover…The man handed a weird pen to sign on the touch pad…I was about to sign and I heard the courier man say “Sir…show ID sir…you Subba Rao?”

Not only with those letters through the Indian Postal Service… Subba Rao has started to haunt me by using the courier’s service as well…
 

“Oh Heavens!!! Who is this Subba Rao?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My freedom ends where a butterfly’s freedom begins

A miracle needed for my train ticket to Coimbatore, it was Monday and I had to travel that evening. I got my ticket through My company's travel desk which read WL/14 and by 6:00 PM I got a call from one of the agents “Sir, A1 cabin 1”. Well...miracles do happen!!! Not only a train ticket to Coimbatore but with an upgrade to 1st class AC.... Looks like there is something with me and travel… Couple of weeks back, I traveled to Pune for an official trip….if flyin in KF was good it was made awesome by the VW Jetta that was waiting for me at the airport to chauffeur me. Well in utter disbelief, I confirmed it more than 5 times and I always got a polite answer with a “Sab” or “Sir”…which definitely meant respect and the chauffeur was more than willing to carry my bag and also held an umbrella to protect me from the heavy shower that greeted me in the Pune airport. Well back to the Coimbatore trip…cabin for 4 but only 3 turned up. One on the berth already… the other fiddling wi

Stereotype...

For a living, I help teams to innovate. How?… is a long story with loads of jargons and justifications, but so far it has worked…and let me not drag the ‘how’ part further. But some of the jargons which are pretty much inevitable and synonymous to innovation are creativity, problem statement, best practice, reuse, benefit and $ value (sounds like $ is the only currency world over).  Pondering on the multiple calls on the day, with enthusiastic young gals and lads explaining what their team has done and articulating every possible benefit to weave a large dollar value to it…after all Innovation is to do with evangelising your solution and branding it. Well, my little grey matter pondering for a longtime and slowly drifted towards ‘what exactly is innovation…or even further what exactly is creativity?’.  We have heard it a hundred times over and often referred to the great domain pundits as ‘something different which has a benefit tagged to it’. Okey agreed, then how on earth is reu

It was not about the...

Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is for reading purposes only, and may not be the situation you were in or you will be in. A hectic day in office…trying to jot down my task list for the day, 2010 football world cup wavin’ flag – K’naan picked up momentum in my mobile, I realized it was time to change my outdated ringtone. But for the time being I had to pull out my mobile from my pocket so that it does not yell. Generally, my fingers would have reached out to the mute ringtone option in the touch screen, but this time around I did not want to…one of my cousin’s number flashed on the touch screen of my HTC. The concern My cousin, a perfect user of the phone or at least with me…he calls up if there is a necessity and that invariably makes me pick his calls. He being a professor by profession enquired about me and my work and hit straight on the topic. He asked me to jot down a number and said “Speak to her she is my colleague’s daughter, check if you guys ca