Skip to main content

Stereotype...

For a living, I help teams to innovate. How?… is a long story with loads of jargons and justifications, but so far it has worked…and let me not drag the ‘how’ part further. But some of the jargons which are pretty much inevitable and synonymous to innovation are creativity, problem statement, best practice, reuse, benefit and $ value (sounds like $ is the only currency world over).  Pondering on the multiple calls on the day, with enthusiastic young gals and lads explaining what their team has done and articulating every possible benefit to weave a large dollar value to it…after all Innovation is to do with evangelising your solution and branding it. Well, my little grey matter pondering for a longtime and slowly drifted towards ‘what exactly is innovation…or even further what exactly is creativity?’. 

We have heard it a hundred times over and often referred to the great domain pundits as ‘something different which has a benefit tagged to it’. Okey agreed, then how on earth is reuse and best practice connected with being creative. I always though reuse and best practice were stereotypes, but never voiced it out since I have also justified that these stereotypes may still be an unknown commodity for someone else…and thus its different and gives the desired benefit. 

With thoughts revolving around the stereotype and an upcoming client visit (which I later came to know was cancelled)…i drove down the road and into my parking lot. Up the stairs and into my house which had an unusual calm, a voice speaking a word in Tamil and my daughter repeating it. Exams nearing and my wife had summoned the maid to help her in teaching Tamil. I was more than eager to break this spell of monotonous repetitions and get some freedom for the little one. Only to see my wife with finger on lips and a glare to indicate ‘shut up and go to your room’ and like any other obedient husband slowly slipped past, unnoticed by the little one. 

Kindergarten with Tamil, Hindi, English, Moral Science and even Maths that too with operations like additions and subtractions, I was wondering if this was going too far. My subconscious mind was still picking up the repetitive words which now has become questions and my little one trying to answer. The bold one that she is, would never care if she answered it wrong and then allow correcting her; but had her own control mechanism that will not allow any stern correction. The teaching now moved to naming of animals in Tamil. My little one was picking up the rhythm, yaaa-naei (elephant), puu-neai (cat) swaying her head from side to side she was picking up a few more with the two syllable words coming one after another. My wife on one side and maid of the other, my little girl swayed her head once to my wife with the first syllable and the other side with the second syllable. 

Kuthi-raai (horse), maaa-duuu (cow)…my Wife and maid were getting a sense of satisfaction and wanted to test the little one further more. This time the maid came up with an idea of pointing out random pictures of animals and not in a particular sequence…well, it was working puu-lee (tiii-geeer), otta-gum (caaa-meel), paal-lee (liii-zard), aaaa-maiiii (tuuuu-rtle) the swaying getting heavier from side to side. She was clearly enjoying this and now my Wife and maid got into the swaying as well. 

Few more random animals, non of us expectied what was coming, the two happy teachers pointed to a picture of a dog and my little one happy swayed naaaa-yeeeaaaa (you’re a dog). Stunned silence and then the laughter from two of them. For those who don’t know Tamil, dog has to be single syllable word, if made to sound like a two syllable word would give a completely different meaning and this time ‘you’re a dog’. I am not sure were she picked it from but the two syllable stereotype definitely triggered it. 

My pondering to ‘stereotype’ being creative was absolutely made certain and tagged with benefits, if not directly, definitely…on a lighter note...fringe benefits 😜

Comments

  1. Awesome Gokul. How beautifully expressed the cost of routine or blind following by rote. Works become mechanical and the results become deprecating in value. That is why innovation not just by companies but effective innovation by individuals in their every day roles or jobs can cause enhanced productivity ,value n joy for all concerned. But brilliantly elucidated your Lil one in action. Could picture her doing it in absolute earnest. Life's best moments are mostly from candid ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My freedom ends where a butterfly’s freedom begins

A miracle needed for my train ticket to Coimbatore, it was Monday and I had to travel that evening. I got my ticket through My company's travel desk which read WL/14 and by 6:00 PM I got a call from one of the agents “Sir, A1 cabin 1”. Well...miracles do happen!!! Not only a train ticket to Coimbatore but with an upgrade to 1st class AC.... Looks like there is something with me and travel… Couple of weeks back, I traveled to Pune for an official trip….if flyin in KF was good it was made awesome by the VW Jetta that was waiting for me at the airport to chauffeur me. Well in utter disbelief, I confirmed it more than 5 times and I always got a polite answer with a “Sab” or “Sir”…which definitely meant respect and the chauffeur was more than willing to carry my bag and also held an umbrella to protect me from the heavy shower that greeted me in the Pune airport. Well back to the Coimbatore trip…cabin for 4 but only 3 turned up. One on the berth already… the other fiddling wi

A thorn in the skin

A new project and new set of challenges; like any other employee thinking about climbing the Corporate ladder or bare minimum fit into any of the buckets the HR department has carved out in the normalization curve, the manthra was ‘Customer is King’ and I thought no different. The Challenges Well, to think of Customer is King; was, is and will be the challenge for all employees and employers across the Globe. But the challenges, that too in a new Country, official challenges apart I had to think about personal challenges of my basic needs and which of course no longer is just food, clothing and shelter, few more dimension added to it from internet connection to money in my pocket. So Malaysia it was and Kuala Lumpur my new city for the next few months. Official challenges, I did have but the kind of team I was a part off, you don’t need to worry; hard work is all that is needed and I was willing to do that. Oh, did I mention the Client team was understanding enough and trus